8.17.2011

Family Room Window Treatments

When selecting window treatments one would think that custom is always better but when time and budget don't allow, ready made does not equal cheap and boring.

While in the hunt for some window treatments for our new home I was under both dilemmas. I new I had to get something quick and inexpensive, because I was going to have to invest my money on more important things for our new home. So I basically shopped an entire day while pregnant with my eldest, going from store to store trying to find just the right pair. Mind you, that I didn't have a color scheme set or furniture selected, basically I was looking for something that would speak to me, which I would then have it work around the room. I knew that I wanted something with color but not with a busy pattern, block-out and energy efficient and they also had to be practical for opening and closing throughout the day. I ended up purchasing two Robert Allen grommet top, black-out 84”panels. I know It doesn't sound good, because as any designer know's, “you must always go with floor to ceiling height” when selecting window treatments. But I had a very good reason as mentioned and the fact that I had several other windows which needed to be covered as well. The pair I purchased was already a little too much and I didn't want to spend another hundred for 95” panels. My hope is to add the extra inches needed at the bottom with a dark inexpensive fabric, (great DIY project) and add roman natural shades for a layered custom look and a punch of texture.

If you find yourself shopping for ready made window treatments, make sure to consider all of the variables for the room and window, selecting bad drapes can ruin the space. If un-sure, selecting linens and cottons and basic neutrals work the best. You can always punch up the drama by adding trim or banding in a contrasting color, or shades for a layered and more custom look as shown below.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Layered window treatment with fabric shades.
 

Layered window treatments with natural shades.

1 comment:

  1. Many more homeowners are interested in window replacement to cut down on the cost of energy and make their home much more energy efficient. They also want their windows replaced to eliminate those chilly winter drafts and prevent their cool air from leaking out in the summer.


    Replacement Windows MA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...