6.07.2012

During my Absence

The month of May was a really busy month for us, the Mr. was away on business for two weeks. During which time my mother also decided to move up to Santa Cruz after living in LA for most of her life and moving out of the house where she lived for 20+ years, and the house I grew up in. Needless to say It was  tough around here, but we're back to the norm and life is good.

During all the changes that were happening around me, I decided to do some of my own. To keep me busy, I decided to tackle some projects around the home. So I would like to share some before and afters around here.

First up, my kitchen door. Yes it's been a slow process and we're still trying to finish our kitchen, but for now this is it. The door was in descent shape but I hated the natural wood color on it. So decided to paint it black using Rust-Oleum semi gloss paint. Of which of course before hand I removed all the hardware, sanded the door down and use bonding primer.

 

I can't tell you, how much better it is now. When you walk into the kitchen it makes sense now, to look at the black door, everything flows nicely.   


Another change, was this pair of nightstands that I scored from my neighbor for $7, they are from the 60's made by Thomasville and solid wood construction. I loved these nightstands the moment I saw them, but the tops where pretty beat up. So decided to paint for an updated and clean look. I was a little hesitant at first because the front drawers appear to have some type of  burl wood veneer, which is really hot right now. But in the end it was a necessary change.


I sanded the tops completely down to the bare wood, and scuff the rest of the nightstands with 250 grid sandpaper.

 

I clean the front hardware with Brasso to remove all those years of tarnish, and reveal the beautiful brass finish.
 

Then got ready for primer and paint, I used Zinsser bonding primer for latex paints. Followed by Valspar Signature Colors in String of Pearls in semi gloss finish. I skipped coating the top with polycrylic because after three thin coats and about a week curing time, I was pretty beat.



I just love the end result, the furniture lines and details make this nightstand stunning. The front drawer knobs were replaced by Martha Stewart Hardware Collection available at Home Depot. 


I love my new nightstands and they look amazing in my bedroom, which is also getting a re-design.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...